The Kouga municipality reported that the following provincial roads were closed late yesterday afternoon due to flooding.The situation may have changed since then, but motorists are urged to exercise caution in these areas.
- Humansdorp to Hankey. Weston bridge still flooded.
- Loerie Road: Between the Gamtoos Ferry hotel en Loerieheuwel. Also watch out for rocks on the road at the hotel, as well as on the R102 as you approach the old one-lane bridge across the Gamtoos.
- Humansdorp to Oyster Bay closed.
- Humansdorp to St Francis closed.
- Sand River bridge at St Francis collapsed at about 2:30am yesterday morning. The provincial Department of Public Works and the contractor who built the bridge were on site yesterday . They reported that the repair of the bridge could only commence once the water has subsided.
In the meantime pedestrians have been crossing the river some way further up river among the dunes. The Kouga municipality advised against this, if possible, as they could not guarantee people’s safety and said individuals crossed at own risk.
All the causeways in the Hankey and Patensie area were overflowing, in particular, the Milton and Andrieskraal bridges.
The Paradise Beach causeway in J’Bay had also started overflowing but was still open and being monitored. Residential roads that have had to be closed, include Johan Muller Boulevard in Paradise Beach and Shearwater Drive in Cape St Francis.